When should I call my alderman?

There is no official answer to this question, but I’ll give you my best advice.

The first thing I want to make clear is that our city staff is awesome to work with. They are a group of people who love De Pere like you and I do, and they truly want to maintain a good living experience for us all. This comment leads into the first part of my answer. If you have a specific concern or question about a specific service or area of the city, your best chance for a quick resolution is to call the city department responsible for that area. For example, if you have a concern about something in a park, call the our Parks, Recreation & Forestry department. If you have a question about a building code violation, call our Building department. But I want to be clear about this. I’m not suggesting that you call city staff just to keep you from calling me. Rather, I want you to realize that we have good, caring city staff who work these jobs full time and can get right to your issue much quicker than I can. Here is a list of city departments.

Now, if you’ve been talking to city staff and you’re not getting things handled to your satisfaction, then by all means, contact me. Or if you think that we need to change a city ordinance, contact me. Or if you want to talk about a larger issue, and would like my advice or if you’d like me to help you get something done, again, contact me. I really do want to talk to you if you think I can help. I just don’t want you to ignore our full time staff, who can usually help you quicker than me.